I don't think a maximalist strategy leads someone like Bezos to change their actions.
If you are an individual making make memes then saying: "Bezos produced X tonnes of CO2 with his launch but he did nothing to offset the CO2 production" would be a productive position.
Offsetting is something that a billionare can simply buy with money. If you care about moralizing then asking for something that can simply solved by throwing money at it is bad. If you however care for reducing CO2 asking for actions that are relatively easy to do is the way to go.
Another thought would be to think up a possible agreement where space companies publically accept the responsibility to do offsetting and then push for that agreement (maybe make a petition for it).trevor-hill-hand on Decision Duels
I like it, sounds like it's just a debate format that works well in a virtual setting.
I wonder if there's a way to add an opening ceremony that helps determine whether this is a question of fact (proceed with the duel) or a question of politics/axioms/goals (cancel the duel).different-1 on What is the net effect of memes that call out the huge impact of big players in climate change?
As an individual what would you say is the best thing to do? Why would maximalist strategy be bad?lukas_gloor on Covid 7/22: Error Correction
The fair trade mentality makes people think they need to offset going to space with some carbon reducing activity when in reality the net gain would be bigger if they did both the offset and not going to space.
That depends on the value you ascribe to them going to space. I do think that being in the great stagnation is a big problem and I think it's good that new space technology gets developed and this event is part of the development of new space technology.
In general there are always option that can be taken to optimize more into one direction. In a public context like this calling for maximalist position is unlikely to change actions.katjagrace on Feedback is central to agency
To check I have this: in the two-level adaptive system, one level is the program adjusting its plan toward the target configuration of being a good plan, and the other level is the car (for instance) adjusting its behavior (due to following the plan) toward getting to a particular place without crashing?different-1 on What is the net effect of memes that call out the huge impact of big players in climate change?
The fair trade mentality makes people think they need to offset going to space with some carbon reducing activity when in reality the net gain would be bigger if they did both the offset and not going to space. Similarly, I wonder how much time I would save and how much laziness indulgence I would enjoy if I didn't separate my garbage.different-1 on Re: Competent Elites
This is just the stereotype of the type of character that are prone to self-praise people tend to apply to their own judgement of character in others. It has no practical implications without understanding other aspects of the person. Like someone mentioned that 90% of smart people are humble, you don't know if the self-praise comes from the other 10% or just someone who's not smart.christiankl on What is the net effect of memes that call out the huge impact of big players in climate change?
Recycling as practiced was highly shaped by PR departments of companies that produce a lot of waste and want to shift the responsibilty somewhere else. That's how we ended up with a horrible recycling system. Even to the extend that separating waste does something it's unclear to me why people would hope it does something about climate change.
Memes that criticse this can be helpful. Being clear about that it's the responsibilty of the companies that produce the massive amounts of plastic to reduce waste is important.
The packaging for the meat I'm buying recently changed in a way that reduces plastic waste by 70% (number from memory). This is the kind of action that manages to reduce waste effectively.
Just pointing to big players and critizising them however won't create change. You actually have to push for alternatives.
When it comes to the question of a billionaire going to space and producing a lot of CO2 in the process the important question is whether they billionaire does something to offset that CO2.
If Brandson doesn't buy offsets then pressure on him to buy offsets has a reasonable change of getting him to buy offsets. On the other hand just complaining about him being an evil billionaire doesn't.zvi on Covid 7/22: Error Correction
Vaccination status is one thing, asking in 2025 whether you were vaccinated in August 2021 is another.