Recent updates to gwern.net (2016-2017)post by gwern · 2017-10-20T02:11:07.808Z · score: 7 (7 votes) · LW · GW · Legacy · None comments
“Every season hath its pleasures; / Spring may boast her flowery prime, / Yet the vineyard’s ruby treasures / Brighten Autumn’s sob’rer time.”
Another year of my completed writings, sorted by topic:
- Why Tool AIs Want To Be Agent AIs
- The Kelly Coin-Flipping Problem: Exact Solutions via Decision Trees, Approximations, and Generalizations
- Genetic Correlation Wikipedia article (Writing this article set a personal record for 'most excessive number of references'.)
- compiled modern genetics bibliography
- frequency of catnip response in cats: a meta-analysis
- “How Would You Prove You Are a Time-traveler From the Past?”
- Efficiently calculating the average maximum sample from a sample of Gaussians
- “Proportion of Important Thinkers by Global Region Over Time in Charles Murray’s Human Accomplishment: bootstrap & Bayesian time-series approaches”
- blind mineral water taste test using Bayesian best-arm bandits
- WiFi bandwidth benchmarking & optimizing
- “Ted Chiang’s ‘Story Of Your Life’ Is Not A Time-Travel Story”
- compiled my quips & bad jokes
- why aren’t there powerful general languages?
- laptop data loss postmortem
gwern.net has undergone some wide-ranging changes, primarily an addition of a new metadata field “importance” (benefiting from my resorter too, incidentally), switch to HTTPS, complete revision of the URL scheme to from trouble-prone spaces to hyphens, renaming hundreds of hosted files, removal of Google AdSense (due to an A/B test indicating serious damage to traffic), and defining thousands of redirects for moves & broken links & typos, as well as additional minor visual tweaks to the CSS, layout, and logo. I continue to use Patreon which is more successful than ever (thanks!) and send out my newsletters.
Comments sorted by top scores.