post by berekuk
score: 27 (11 votes) ·
Some context: Kocherga is a rationalist community hub in Moscow [LW · GW].
There was a large crowdfunding campaign for printing the Russian HPMoR edition last year. Kocherga was the main local pickup point in Moscow; we distributed around 5000 copies to 3000 people.
We wanted to promote Kocherga, rationality and EA among these people (most of them just know HPMoR and don't know much about LW/EA), so I designed a new tri-fold leaflet. We handed it out with each set of books.
The reaction to this leaflet was quite positive, so I thought it'd be useful to do an English translation of it and share it here:
- Capital letters in "What's happening in Kocherga" list read "cthulhu fhtagn" in Russian, but I wasn't able to adapt it to English. This might explain why the list looks kinda disorganized.
- The translation is quite crude, it took me an hour and I didn't edit it as much as I could. If the tone feels a bit off, that's probably the reason.
- The labels on the Dunning-Kruger graph are «Competence» on x axis and «Test results» on y axis.
- Here's an photo of the actual leaflet with HPMoR books: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqC7eQfl7T7/
- If you really like the leaflet and would like to adapt it for your local community, let me know and I'll share the InDesign source file with you.
PS: We're still financially troubled, so if you like what we're doing and want to make sure we keep doing it, please consider supporting Kocherga on Patreon.
Comments sorted by top scores.
comment by habryka (habryka4)
· score: 8 (4 votes) · LW
) · GW
Re. Finances: I have no idea what the other fund members would think of this, but I think you should apply for the LTF-future fund, if you haven't done so already (see the last post that I made).
comment by berekuk
· score: 13 (5 votes) · LW
) · GW
Whoa, for some reason I thought that LTF fund is not relevant to us, but looks like I was wrong. Thank you!
For context: in the last few months I applied for two CEA grants.
- Community Building grants (in December, outside of a funding round, so they warned me that the bar will be higher); they decided not to fund and asked to reapply. In the current Feb 2019 round there's a $150,000 budget cap [EA · GW], and since there'd be a risk of Kocherga competing against EA Russia team (which is separate from Kocherga), I decided not to reapply this time.
- I also applied to the EA Meta Fund, since it seemed like a closest match for what we're doing. They responded that they're not interested for now and that I should apply to the Community Building grant instead.
We could work more on improving our reputation on LW and EA forum (I have a few long posts in mind, e.g. our community building strategy which we've developed recently and which we're very hopeful about), but that's a costly strategy and there's a lot of uncertainty on whether that would be useful (for us or for the international community).