Pub meetup: Developmental Milestonespost by Giles · 2018-11-14T04:18:03.625Z · score: 6 (1 votes) · LW · GW · 0 comments
Fox on Wellesley, 27 Wellesley St East, Toronto
We meet, hang out and chat about rationality. It's held at the pub and is very casual. If you come early (6:30) there should be at least one of us here.
What developmental milestones might you be missing? Scott Alexander goes into some detail here: http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/03/what-developmental-milestones-are-you-missing/
Some examples he gives are:
- theory of mind
- understanding the self/environment boundary
- an understanding that other people will go down as many levels to defend their self-consistent values as you will to defend yours
- ability to distinguish “the things my brain tells me” from “reality”
- ability to model other people as having really different mind-designs
- ability to think probabilistically
- understanding the idea of trade-offs
We'll use this stuff as a prompt but usually end up talking about whatever. Have a think about what mental operations you might still be missing, or one that seemed a big breakthrough when you learned it.
Comments sorted by top scores.