List of requests for an AI slowdown/halt.post by Cleo Nardo (strawberry calm) · 2023-04-14T23:55:09.544Z · LW · GW · 6 comments
About this document List of slowdown/halt AI requests Last updated: April 14th 2023. None 6 comments
About this document
There has been a recent flurry of letters/articles/statements/videos which endorse a slowdown or halt of colossal AI experiments via (e.g.) regulation or coordination.
This document aspires to collect all examples into a single centralised list. I'm undecided on how best to order and subdivide the examples, but I'm open to suggestions.
As a disclaimer, this list is...
- Living — I'll try to update the list over time.
- Non-exhaustive — There are almost certainly examples I've missed.
- Non-representative — The list is biased, at least initially, towards things that I have been shown personally.
Please mention in the comments any examples I've missed so I can add them!
List of slowdown/halt AI requests
Last updated: April 14th 2023.
(Note that I'm also including surveys.)
- Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter
by Future of Life Institute
- Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
by Eliezer Yudkowsky [LW · GW]
- We must slow down the race to God-like AI
by Ian Hogarth
- The A.I. Dilemma
by the Center for Humane Technology
- The case for slowing down AI 
by Sigal Samuel
- The Case for Halting AI Development
by Max Tegmark, Lex Fridman
- Lennart Heim on Compute Governance
by Lennart Heim, Future of Life Institute
- Let’s think about slowing down AI [AF · GW]
by KatjaGrace [AF · GW]
- The 0.2 OOMs/year target [AF · GW]
by Cleo Nardo [AF · GW]
- AI Summer Harvest [LW · GW]
by Cleo Nardo [LW · GW]
- Instead of technical research, more people should focus on buying time [LW · GW]
by Akash [LW · GW], Olivia Jimenez [LW · GW], Thomas Larsen [LW · GW]
- Slowing down AI progress is an underexplored alignment strategy [EA · GW]
by Michael Huang [EA · GW]
- Slowing Down AI: Rationales, Proposals, and Difficulties 
by Simeon Campos, Henry Papadatos, Charles M
- What an actually pessimistic containment strategy looks like [LW · GW]
by lc [LW · GW]
- In the Matter of OpenAI (FTC 2023) 
by Center for AI and Digital Policy
- We need a Butlerian Jihad against AI 
by Erik Hoel
- Dangers of AI and the End of Human Civilization
by Eliezer Yudkowsky [LW · GW], Lex Fridman
- We’re All Gonna Die with Eliezer Yudkowsky
by Eliezer Yudkowsky [LW · GW], Bankless
- The public supports regulating AI for safety [LW · GW]
by Zach Stein-Perlman [LW · GW]
- New survey: 46% of Americans are concerned about extinction from AI; 69% support a six-month pause in AI development [LW · GW]
by Akash [LW · GW]
Comments sorted by top scores.