Luna Lovegood and the Chamber of Secrets - Part 8post by lsusr · 2020-12-17T22:29:47.788Z · LW · GW · 15 comments
Luna had too many Calls to Adventure. If there was an author writing Luna's life, Luna would file a complaint. Luna had three magical artifacts of incredible power and at least two of them were maps. What kind of author gives her hero two magical maps? It's redundant.
"Are you a map of 10th century Wessex?" Luna asked the Diadem of Ravenclaw.
A princess's cute animal companion is supposed to be visible.
"Maybe you'll turn into a prince for me," she said to Wanda. Luna tried kissing Wanda but the Wrackspurt dodged and went for her ear instead, "Oh well."
Luna needed a mysterious old wizard to help guide her narrative.
Gilderoy Lockhart's office hours were always packed.
"How did you get past all the security to assassinate the Dark Lord of Berzerkistan?" a sixth-year girl asked.
"I can neither confirm nor deny whether I have ever set foot in Berzerkistan," Lockhart winked, "If, as rumored, I am indeed responsible for the Dark Lord of Berzerkistan's untimely demise then my methods must remain a state secret."
"Tell me how you got rid of the Bandon Banshee," a first-year girl said.
"It is all in my book," Lockhart said.
"How did you kill the Dementor sent to Hogwarts last year?" a third-year girl asked.
"I promised not to tell," Lockhart said.
Lockhart loved his little fans even though none of them cared how he had won Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award. Lockhart patiently parried their questions until one last first-year remained. She had waited to ask him something in private.
"Umm. It's okay if you say no. But. Well. Canyouteachmetobepopular?" Luna asked.
Lockhart brandished his award-winning smile. Then his face fell.
"Such personal attention to a student might appear unseemly," Lockhart said genuinely.
"It's an interview for The Quibbler," Luna said.
Luna tried out for the Quidditch team. She crashed her broom into the stands. Luna tried out for the Gobstones team. She passed out from the fumes. Luna attempted to try out for Smite Club, a rumored underground continuation of Quirrel's battles. Luna could not find where Smite Club held its meetings. Smite Club may have only ever existed in her imagination.
A month flew by. Luna was exhausted. She sleepwalked.
99% of other people never notice the things you fail at. 1% have forgotten by tomorrow morning.
―Lovegood, Luna. "Secrets of Gilderoy Lockhart." The Quibbler.
Luna started a Welters team. No other students showed up. Luna started a Wrackspurt training club. Wanda and Luna showed up, but nobody else. Luna started a Muggle Repelling Charms study group in the Forgotten Library.
Another month passed. Luna fell asleep in herbology. She wore shoes to bed.
People think about themselves 99% of the time. You are competing with all of wizardkind for the remaining 1%.
―Lovegood, Luna. "Deeper Secrets of Gilderoy Lockhart." The Quibbler.
Luna dreamed her classmates were casting a spell. Luna played along.
Luna woke up. She had been sleepwalking.
"Congratulations Ms. Lovegood," said Gilderoy Lockhart, "You will be representing Ravenclaw at this year's dueling tournament."
You cannot predict how others will react when you do something out of the ordinary.
―Lovegood, Luna. "Who knew Gilderoy Lockhart possessed so many secrets?" The Quibbler.
Comments sorted by top scores.